Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

Paper Plate Dinosaurs

Kids love paint.

No seriously. Paint. The moment you put it out, they're swarming around you eager to get their hands on a brush (or whatever other applicator you happen to be using - toothbrush, straw, fingers, yarn) and start making art. Don't ask me why it's like that, all I know is we never have enough art smocks to accomodate the amount of kids that want to paint.

That being said, is it any wonder that when we pulled this particular craft out of our hats we were almost bulldozed before we even got it on the table? I should think not.




So what you'll need is some paper plates. Circular ones. That are white.

I recommend making a few templates of the dinosaur shapes before the kids arrive (my colleague just free handed the ones we used) so that the kids can trace around them and cut them out fairly independantly. And that way you don't have the "Can you draw me a dinosaur shape?" question a million and three times.

Once they've cut out their dinosaurs, they paint. Yes, they finally get their little hands on the deliciously enticing colours. Paint them however they like. Pink T-Rex. Rainbow Brachiosaurus. It all sounds so exciting to me, so let them have at it!

And that's it! Pin or hang them up around the room and be awed by the unbridled creativity you have enabled.

And now for a little Firefly fan comic I made using my own Paper Plate Dinosaurs:

No comments:

Post a Comment