Pages

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Paper Bag Puppets

So I rocked up to work one morning, and looked at the schedule. Beside craft it said "Sock Puppets." I thought that was incredibly cool. After searching the supply cupboard I realised, we don't actually have any socks... I consulted the coordinator and we decided we'd have to do paper bag puppets instead. She wanted to give me  the paper bags from the kitchen; you know, the brown ones. But early on in my time at the centre I'd noticed a stack of large envelopes sitting on one of the craft shelves. They've never been used. So I decided we'd use them to make puppets.

Best. Idea. Ever. (For that day, at least).

These envelopes just happened to have windows in the perfect position to put they eyes behind the window. "Ned Kelly Puppets!" my co-worker exclaimed from the kitchen when she saw the 'paper bags' I intended to use. And well, I didn't make Ned Kelly, but I definitely used the slit-in-the-helmet concept for the placement of my eyes.

Kids can do whatever they like with this craft. We had puppets with yarn hair and paper bows. We had puppets with googly eyes. We had puppets frills (like mine). Puppets with ribbon headbands. Puppets with flowers. Vampire Puppets. Girl Puppets. Boy Puppets. The sky is the limit.

Just stick it all on, draw the rest and slip it on your hand.

And the perfect technique to get younger kids to come and make one? Have yours made up in advance and get the puppet to do all the talking. Mine (despite looking very feminine) ended up with a Grover from Sesame Street voice. But it worked. I got three preps and a couple of grade ones to make puppets by asking them through the puppet.

What kind of paper bag puppet would you make?

No comments:

Post a Comment